Water Hydraulic Bolt Removal System
Removal of stainless steel bolts (M20) on seismic brackets which are part of the container racking in a spent nuclear fuel handling pond. A new racking system is being constructed, making the existing brackets redundant.
The bolts are at a depth of up to 4 metres in contaminated water and have been in place for many years. The bolts must be removed remotely i.e. without human contact.
This task had never been carried out before.
A Water Hydraulic Bolt Removal System, consisting of:
- A Water Hydraulic Torque Multiplier giving a torque between 200 and 2,000 Nm
- A double acting Hydraulic Bolt Arrestor Clamp capable of operating with water, giving a torque up to 800 Nm
- Stainless Steel Power Pack and complete hose system with quick release couplers
- 3 kW Control Panel
The Bolt Arrestor grips the bolt head to prevent rotation whilst the torque multiplier unfastens the opposing nut.
- Stainless Steel Power Pack designed to run on demineralised water and 110V supply
- Pendant control for Water Hydraulic Torque Wrench and Bolt Arrestor
- Torque Wrench and Bolt Arrestor are capable of being operated remotely by the Pond Deployment Tooling of the Nuclear Fuel Preparation Machines, consisting of long reach Pole Assemblies
- Torque Wrench and Bolt Arrestor are capable of operating remotely at the required torque levels at an under water depth of 4m
- Corrosion resistant tooling
- Suitable for use in clean environments
- Torque Wrench and Bolt Arrestor are operated independent of one another, giving greater control of the process
Stainless Steel Power Pack with 25 Litre Reservoir
This type of tooling is appropriate for a wide range of bolting applications in clean manufacturing and processing environments, including: Nuclear, Food, Pharmaceuticals, and Medical. It is also suitable for use within clean rooms.